Reduce High Energy Bills
Find Out Where YOUR Home is Losing Energy:
Your energy bills are too high! Rate increases for electricity and heating fuel could be the reason for your soaring energy bills. But you may have other issues, like inadequate insulation, air leaks, inefficient heating and cooling equipment, or a number of other energy wasting problems. There are ways to find the root of the problems and things you can do to save energy in your home.
Here are some recommendations to improve your home's energy efficiency. Some things you may want to tackle yourself, but others are better left to a contractor with the proper experience.
- Start with an evaluation of your home's energy usage. Use ENERGY STAR's Home Energy Assessment Tool to get your score on the Home Energy Yardstick, as well as a list of home improvements. Have your utility bills from past year on hand.
- For a more in-depth analysis, schedule a home energy assessment with a certified Green Collar Crew Maryland, Inc. member to do an in-home evaluation. Using diagnostic equipment, the auditor will inspect your home top to bottom, inside and out, to evaluate your home's performance. You'll receive a customized list of recommended improvements, with the expected savings for each.
Learn more about the Team Assessment.
- Common energy saving home improvements include adding insulation, sealing air leaks, (see Home Sealing) or sealing air ducts. If you are handy, you may be able to do some of these yourself. Otherwise, hire an experienced contractor for best results.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees F. You won't notice a difference in your hot water, but you will on your energy bill!
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent (CFL) or LED bulbs.
- If you're replacing appliances, equipment, electronics or light fixtures, choose ENERGY STAR qualified products, which use less energy.
- Install a programmable thermostat and set it to adjust the temperature while you're sleeping or away from home. Increasing the temperature in the summer and lowering it in the winter can add up to real energy savings.
- Check if your utility providers offer any programs, incentives or rebates to help you lower energy bills and save on new appliances and energy saving home improvements.
Home Energy Problems & Solutions:
- Reduce High Energy Bills Energy Efficiency, Home Improvement Tools
- Drafty Rooms Air sealing, Heating and Cooling Contractor
- Peeling Paint Control moisture, Building Science Specialist
- Mold, Mildew or Musty Odors Reducing Indoor Humidity
- Dust Sealing air leaks, Change Filters
- Hot or Cold Rooms Room over a garage, ENERGY STAR ceiling fans
- Damp Basement Stop water leaks, Ventilation Fans
- Moisture on Windows Control Moisture, ENERGY STAR Labeled Windows
- Dry Indoor Air in Winter Home Sealing, Diagnostic Equipment
- Cold Floors in Winter Basement floor, Floor over a crawlspace
- Ice Dams Roofing Contractor, Diagnostic Equipment
We were unaware of what was involved in an energy audit and your audior took the time to explain everything. We were impressed with the report which told us the areas in which we need to take action on. He never pressured us to use any particular contractors, he just suggested that we go to the HomeEnergyTeam web site to select contractors of our own choice. He did an excellent job and we HIGHLY recommend the Home Energy Team Affiliates. We already have recommended them to several of our neighbors. Again, EXCELLENT JOB!
The Home Energy Team Affiliate auditor was very knowledgeable. I was VERY HAPPY with him. He promptly E-mailed my energy audit report to me and I will consider all of his recommendations.
We found out that our house really has no energy problems. We wanted to thank the Home Energy Team auditor for peace of mind.
I was very satisfied with your energy auditor. He was very qualified and spent a great deal of time with me. The energy audit was very informative.
The energy auditor was very good and helpful. He keeps in touch with me to answer any of my questions.
I was very satisfied with my energy audit. The auditor gave me some tips on attic insulation that were very helpful.
I was very satisfied with my energy audit. Thank you!
Very good service! I am going to replace the windows as the auditor had suggested.
I was very happy with the energy audit. THANKS!
My energy audit was very helpful. Joe Dempsey, your auditor, identified some structural problems that I was not aware of and explained to me why I need more insulation.
The auditor was EXCELLENT! He spent ALOT of time with me. I am going to take 3 to 4 of his suggestions and correct these small items to save on my energy bills.
The auditor did a GREAT JOB! He knew a lot about older homes, which we have. The report was very comprehensive. Thank you!
Your energy auditor was very nice and helpful. He answered all of our questions. We will recommend Home Energy Team Affiliates to our friends and neighbors.
The auditor did a TERRIFIC JOB! The report was FANTASTIC! I will make all the repairs he suggested. I will definitely recommend him to everyone I know that could benefit from a home energy audit.
Steve Sleigh, Chevy Chase
The energy auditor was very professional and I am very satisfied with both the energy audit and the report I received. I will be referring the Home Energy Team Affiliates.
I was very satisfied with the auditor. He was great and gave me some very valuable information. I will refer him to people I know who may need a home energy audit.
Your home energy audit proved to be very informative and helpful. I was not aware of the updraft created inside our walls because of the balloon framing construction. You said that that can cause heat to be pulled out of the house with the draft going up inside the walls and should be re-mediated. You also said that the attic insulation was insufficient and that fiberglass batts can leave spaces for around the edges causing heat loss and that it should have blown in insulation on top of what was there to seal the whole attic and increase the R factor. Thank You for all your advice and expertise. You made me aware of things I should consider and did the upgrades. I can already see the difference on my utility bills!